2019 PART TIME PAID GALLERY INTERNSHIP – STELLENBOSCH / KUILSRIVER
as soon as possible
The Marvol Gallery at Hazendal Wine Estate offers audiences a window into the richness of Russian art and culture. The newly established Gallery is a space which showcases Russian artwork from the estate owners private collection but also endeavours to provide a platform for contemprory South African and Russian artists to explore synergies and encourage the dialogue of culture and history through the medium of art. The Gallery is forging new relationships between local universities and the local community, while part of the Hazendal Wine estate brand it supports creating a cultural destination through new creative enterprise.
Marvol Gallery is looking for someone who is interested in growing with us to join our small team as a Gallery intern who is enthusiastic, well-presented and passionate about the Visual Art industry. The ideal candidate must have a willingness to learn and a curious mind. The role will have a strong focus on customer service and administration.
The intern will have an up-close opportunity to observe and participate in many aspects of pre and post-production of small-scale exhibitions. The intern will be closely mentored by the Gallery manager to allow for different levels of experience. Since Marvol Gallery is a newly developed space the intern will gain valuable insights and experience into the start-up requirements and environment of an Art Gallery.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Fielding visitors to the Gallery and assisting with phone calls and general enquiries
- Being confident and knowledgeable on the current exhibitions with the ability to do a tour with visitors
- Assisting in creating exhibition dossiers
- Some assistance with exhibition planning and installation
- Maintaining and updating gallery databases and cataloguing of artwork
- A measurable and keen interest in the creative and artistic fields, such as dance, visual art, music etc.
- Eagerness to make a valuable contribution and grow within the company
- Fine attention to detail
- Disciplined, reliable and confident with a willingness to learn
- Well spoken, excellent communication and writing skills
- Must be able to work independently with strong analytical research skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Drivers license essential
- Visual art, Business Administration or Business Studies diploma or similar qualification in a related field preferred
Working hours: 9am to 5pm Wednesday to Friday, 9am to 5pm every alternate Sunday, and occasional evenings may be as required for exhibition openings and gallery events
Start date: As soon as possible