The 2021 admission cycle is open. Applications close on 31 July 2020. We will not consider late applications.
The National Benchmark Tests (NBTs) have been a requirement for undergraduate admission at the University of Cape Town. Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the NBT testing programme, the NBTs will not be part of the admission criteria for admission to UCT in 2021.
As a result, UCT is considering amendments to the current criteria and expects this to be finalised soon. Prospective applicants are advised to submit their study applications without delay and to make sure that they submit their Grade 11 final school results to be considered for an early conditional offer of admission.
Applicants who need financial assistance must submit their applications on the NSFAS online application system. Applications are scheduled to open on 1 August and close on 30 November 2020. Applications must be completed at http://www.nsfas.org.za/content/how-to-apply.html.
Most postgraduate programmes containing coursework close on 31 October, with the exception of a few programmes and faculties which start to close from May onward. Please refer to the 2021 Directions for Postgraduate Applicants for the closing dates applicable to you.
Applications for research-only postgraduate programmes do not close. Please select the year in which you wish to start your programme when applying.
SEMESTER STUDY ABROAD (SSA) APPLICANTS
The SSA programme is offered to international students who are pursuing a degree elsewhere and plan to study abroad at UCT for a semester or two for the purposes of international credit mobility. Upon completion of the UCT semester course-load, the credits can be transferred to their degree at their home university. SSA credits do not count toward a UCT qualification.
SSA application cycle:
First semester (which runs from late January to mid-June): applications open in the first week of August and close on 31 October of the preceding year.
Second semester (which runs from early July to late November): applications open in the second week of January and close on 30 April of the same year.
For further information, visit Semester Study Abroad.
Undergraduate application forms for admission in 2021
- 2021 Application for undergraduate admission form
- Undergraduate prospectus
- Directions for undergraduate applicants
- BA(FA) form for all Bachelor of Arts in Fine Art applicants
- BAS form for all Bachelor of Architectural Studies applicants
- First-time applications for financial aid are handled centrally via NSFAS. For further information on the application process, please see undergraduate student funding.
Postgraduate application information
All postgraduate applicants must apply online.
- 2020 Directions for Postgraduate Applicants for applicants intending to enrol in 2020.
- 2021 Directions for Postgraduate Applicants for applicants intending to enrol in 2021.
- Postgraduate Studies at UCT– the essential guide for all prospective postgraduate students
- Apply for postgraduate degree funding.
Please note: the University reserves the right to change these dates. Before acting on any of the dates below confirmation should be sought from the appropriate office.1 April 2020
- Applications for admission in 2021 will open. Applications will close on 31 July 2020 for all undergraduate programmes. Please remember to apply online.
- The National Benchmark Tests (NBTs) will open for registrations for the 2021 intake. You must apply online.
4 April 2020
- Open Day is a good opportunity to access important information about the application process. (It’s also a good time for younger siblings to start thinking about UCT opportunities!)
Please note: Following international advice on the hosting of large gatherings, we have taken the precautionary measure to cancel the 2020 Open Day, which was due to be held on Saturday, 4 April 2020. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Read the VC Desk: COVID-19: Update on mass gatherings, graduation and travel.
31 July 2020
- All undergraduate applications close. We do not accept late applications.
- Applications for student housing close.
- Last date to write the NBTs for admission to the Faculty of Health Sciences.
1 August 2020
- National Student Funding Assistance Scheme (NSFAS) funding applications open. You must apply online.
31 August 2020
- Closing date for undergraduate programme changes: 31 August 2020.
You do so by sending a request to email@example.com or submitting a written request to the Admissions Office.30 September 2020
- Final date to submit the Bachelor of Architectural Studies (BAS) portfolio.
10 October 2020
- Except for Health Sciences programmes, National Benchmark Tests must be written no later than 10 October 2020.
31 October 2020
- For applicants finishing secondary school in 2020, all grade 12 interim results, or predicted scores in the case of non-NSC candidates, are due.
- Interim and past transcripts for transferring applicants are due.
30 November 2020
- Last date to apply for National Student Funding Assistance Scheme (NSFAS) funding. You must apply online.
31 December 2020
- All final transcripts and non-NSC school-leaving results (except CIE, ZIMSEC and NSSC) must be submitted as certified paper documents.
15 January 2021
- Final tertiary transcripts are due for students registered for tertiary studies in 2020.
- Final CAIE, ZIMSEC and NSSC results from the November 2020 session are due.
15 February 2021
- First quarter starts at UCT.