Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Bursary Scheme
Closing Date : 30 September
Field of Study:
- Earth Sciences
- Geography, Archaeology & Environmental Studies
The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending to further their studies in critical scarce skills in the agriculture, forestry and fisheries sectors for the 2015 academic year. The bursaries will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons
from poverty-stricken and deep rural communities.
What are the requirements for the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Bursary Programme?
Fields of studies
(National Senior Certificate)
1. B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering)
2. Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc.)
Mathematics and Physical Science 6 (70-79)
3. B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology/ Soil Science/Plant Pathology
4. B.Sc. Food Science
5. B.Sc. Plant Pathology
6. B.Sc. Agric Soil Science
7. B.Sc. Agric Agronomy
8. B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science
9. B.Sc. Geo-informatics
10. B.Sc. Marine Biology
11. B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology
12. B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture
Mathematics and Physical Science 5 (60-69)
13. National Diploma: Food Technology
14. National Diploma: Forestry
15. National Diploma: Fisheries Resource Management
16. National Diploma: Oceanography
Mathematics and Physical Science 4 (50-59)
16. Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc. Hons, M. Tech., M.Sc., D.Tech. and Ph.D.) in different agriculture, forestry and fisheries study fields linked to DAFF priority research projects.
1. It is worth noting that certain study fields are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
• B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu-Natal
• Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.): University of Pretoria
• B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology/Soil Science/Plant Pathology: University of Stellenbosch
• B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science: University of Stellenbosch
• B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
• B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture: Rhodes University
• National Diploma: Forestry: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
• National Diploma: Oceanography: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
• National Diploma: Fisheries Resource Management: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
2. Applicants must be South African citizens.
3. Applicants must complete relevant bursary application forms available online at: www.daff.gov.za (Click the following: Branches, Food Security and Agrarian Reform, then Sector Education and Training and then Careers).
4. Successful candidates will be informed from 15 January , after the National Bursary Committee has finalised the selection process. If you do not hear from us by the end of January , consider your application to be unsuccessful.
i) The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries reserves the right to determine the total number of bursary allocations for the academic year based on the total budget available.
(ii) The National Bursary Committee will make use of the Bursary Scheme’s 14-point system to allocate points to shortlisted applicants.
(iii) The Bursary Scheme of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is in fulfilment of the sector strategic objective of elimination of skewed participation in the agriculture, forestry and fisheries sectors.
Should you not hear from the department by 31 January please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Closing Date: 30 September
How to Apply:
All completed bursary application forms together with certified copies of ID and certificates/performance results should be sent to the following address:
The Director: Ms Amanda Shokane
Directorate: Sector Education and Training
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Private Bag X250