FBI Chef School
Welcome to the Food and Beverage Institute
Chef Nicolas van der Walt started cooking and playing with food at the tender age of 12, as a typical farm-boy. Nicolas soon made headlines as one of the most promising pastry chefs in the world by entering numerous competitions and promoting the art of pastry by becoming a leader in the art of sugar and chocolate craft.
Herewith a short version of achievements and a brief track-record of Nicolas’ experiences both locally and abroad:
- 2 Year, in house training program at the Protea Hotel Bloemfontein
- Management diploma – Central University of Technology, Free State
- 2 Years working at the Park Hyatt Hotel, Rosebank under acclaimed executive pastry chef, Linda Kotze
- Selected as pastry chef for the junior national culinary team of South Africa
- Competed at the World Championships, Maastricht, Holland in 2001 and won a gold medal. Also Nicolas was awarded the most promising pastry chef in the world
- Graced the Savoy Hotel, London, UK
- Opened a fine dining experience restaurant, @ The Square in the arty town of Clarens in the Free State
- 2 Years as executive pastry chef at the Michelangelo Hotel, Sandton
- 3 ½ years as executive pastry chef at the Saxon Boutique Hotel and Spa, Sandhurst, Johannesburg
- Competed in the Salon Culinaire in 2007, first and second place achieved in the showpiece section.
- Advisory pastry chef of the Castle Kyalami Hotel, Johannesburg
- Program Director and co – owner of the FBI Chef school and Patisserie Academy.
Training pastry chefs of outstanding quality
The FBI School of Pastry in Johannesburg does not only specialize in sugar and chocolate craft,but also teaches full culinary programs resulting in a well balanced all-rounded chef. It is here where aspiring chefs will have the opportunity to train in this time-honored culinary art at an internationally approved institution under highly qualified, internationally acclaimed chefs.
Internationally approved courses offered
We have two intakes per year, January and June. All our courses are approved by City and Guilds. Please note that the majority of our programs are all inclusive regarding uniforms, memberships, international examination costs, etc.
Read more …
An exciting part time approved international training program in patisserie studies
A 1 year part time Skill proficiency Pastry Program, consisting of 6, 1 week evening classes. Together with introductory theory lessons, research and assignments, is now within reach of the food enthusiast and pastry lover.
Read more …
We offer Pastry evening classes like basic cake baking and icing, macarons, breads and pastries, sugar figurines, and designer cupcakes.
FBI Chef School & Patisserie Academy
Tel: 011 462 8964
Fax: 086 574 2992
164 Church street
GPS Coordinates: S26’02.229 E027’58.614