LGSETA Bursary South Africa
ABOUT THE BURSAR
The Local Government Sector Education and Training Authority (LGSETA) are responsible for creating and implementing skills development interventions to assist local government employees, those working within the local government structures and the unemployed.
ABOUT THE BURSARY
The LGSETA bursary scheme was initiated as a result of the “#FeesMustFall” campaign in South Africa. The bursary scheme was established according to the Annual Bursary targets, agreed upon by the DHET (Department of Higher Education and Training).
Bursaries will only be awarded to students who are studying towards a qualification within the local government scarce and critical skills areas
The bursary award will cover the following study expenses: registration fees, tuition fees, prescribed books and residence fees. The maximum value of the bursary is R50 000 per annum.
The LGSETA bursary is awarded annually, therefore you will be required to reapply each year.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying:
- South African citizen
- Between 18 and 35 years old
- Currently unemployed
- Enrolled or accepted to study at a recognised public institution within South Africa (Public University/ University of Technology/ TVET College)
- Studying towards a qualification accredited on the NQF/NCV/N Levels (must be 1 year or longer)
- Studying towards a qualification that is relevant to the LGSETA scope of work
- Have not been granted a bursary from another institution or organisation
*Preference will be given to students with disabilities and students who have been previously disadvantaged.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online via the LGSETA Bursary Portal: www.lgsetawsponline.org.za/LPD – you will be required to Register an Account before completing your online bursary application.
You will be required to submit copies of the following supporting documentation via the online portal:
- ID document (certified copy)
- First year students: Grade 12 results/ Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Continuing tertiary students: last years academic tertiary results
- Proof of registration at a tertiary institution (provisional acceptance)
- Highest qualification and grades achieved
- Fee structure of study fees, books and residence costs (Account statement/ Quotation/ invoice from tertiary institution)
- Parents/ guardians ID documents (certified copies)
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (latest payslips) or affidavit if unemployed
(If you have not received any feedback from LGSETA within 30 days after the closing date, please regard your application as unsuccessful.)
For any bursary queries, please contact:
Local Government Sector Education and Training Authority (LGSETA)
National Office and Gauteng Office
Tel: 011 456 8579