National Research Foundation: 2019 Project Engineer Job
Permanent Intermediate EE position Market Related salary
About the Position SARAO has a vacancy for a Project Engineer to join our Systems Engineering team, the incumbent shall report to the Systems Engineering Manager.
The main responsibilities are as follows:
- To be the “owner’s engineer” or Supervisor (as defined in the NEC4: Engineering and Construction Contract 2017)
- To take full responsibility for the technical oversight and management of the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) of systems and products, which includes: * Ensure the manufacturability and construct ability of the proposed designs. * Compiling procurement specifications and the associated tender material in support of Supply Chain Management processes. * Assessing and accepting delivered products and items against specifications. * Overseeing the technical elements of construction and Email Address seeing the execution of any required testing and permitting for construction equipment and system products. * Implementing and delivering fully functional, commissioned systems and products on site. * Establishing baselines and design configurations of the system under development, including preparing and implementing engineering changes to the baselines. * Ensuring that the “as-designed” functionality and quality of systems and products is carried over to the “as-built” state.
- To serve as the liaison between design engineering and project management.
- To provide the engineering inputs and support to the Project Manager for project planning and management.
- To serve as the liaison between the project engineering team (EPC) and the system owner.
- Provide “field engineering” services at system, sub-system and product level to aid in fault diagnostics and rectification
- Contribute to the organisational maturity through the maintenance and upgrade of engineering processes within his/her realm of responsibility.
Minimum education required:
- B.Eng/ B.Sc. in Engineering
Minimum work experience required:
- 5 years’ relevant experience
Desirable additional education, work experience & personal qualities:
- excellent interpersonal skills and leadership
- recognised competence in the application of systems engineering in a particular discipline or domain.
- experience in Project Management in a construction environment
- systems engineering and Project Management modules at postgraduate level
- conceptual / systems thinking.
- analytical problem-solving skills
- communicate effectively in English (both written and verbally)
- Project Management in construction in environment is required
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- excellent interpersonal skills to influence engineering attitudes and systems design for operational environments
- execute project engineering on a primary system across multiple domains while supporting product development
- contribute to-or-lead the evolution and implementation of improved engineering processes
- perform detail engineering tasks and analysis, applying theory and practical experience
- undertake engineering actions in the lifecycle phases of the system under development with a strong ability to address the “ilities” of system design
- coach and mentor young engineers in the field of engineering and project engineering
- application and control of systems engineering processes and procedures
- baseline establishment and management
- applied systems engineering – across the multiple lifecycle stages of system or product and at all levels systems (L5) of the systems hierarchy
- use of computer-aided systems engineering tools (e.g. CORE)
- NEC3/4 (engineering and construction contract)
- quality assurance systems (ISO9001)
- government procurement practices and regulations (PFMA/PPPF)
- domain knowledge of systems engineering, technology, and/or software based on experience SE methods, procedures, tools and techniques
- configuration management and configuration management systems
- Systems Engineering standards, e.g. ISO/IEC/IEEE 15288 & 15289, ISO/IEC/IEEE 26702, ANSI/EIA-632
About The Employer
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours. As a business unit of the NRF, SARAO is committed to employment equity and redress Type of employment: Permanent SARAO reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification