Pretoria Boys High School is a traditional boys school located on an 85-acre campus southeast of the city centre. Established in 1901, it is one of the oldest schools in the province. With an enrolment of around 1500 pupils it is the largest boys’ school in South Africa. The school prides itself on maintaining exceptional standards and this is illustrated through our ethos of holistic education based on the fundamental pillars of a full academic, cultural and sporting programme. PBHS is a public school with additional funding generated through school fees. Three boarding houses provide accommodation for over 300 pupils.
Grade 8 – Application Procedure
The Department of Education Online process must be followed to apply at this school. The process and dates will be reflected here once the dates are finalised by the Department. Supporting documents that will be required will be communicated at that time. This process is only started during the boy’s Grade 7 year (and not prior to this).
Grade 9 – 11 Application Procedure
The School Governing Body has resolved that the Headmaster will administer and decide on admission in accordance with the SGB admissions policy.
All Application Forms must be completed in full, signed and accompanied by:
- Copies of both biological parents’ ID documents
- A copy of the applicant’s unabridged Birth Certificate
- A copy of the applicant’s most recent school report
- Proof of residential address which shall be in the form of a utilities bill or a lease agreement (for a minimum period of 12 months) in the name of the parent or legal guardian of the applicant
Applications shall open from the beginning of September each year (for admission to the School for the following year).
Applicants shall only be considered should there be available space and if the applicant fulfills the requirements of the Admissions Policy which has been approved by the School Governing Body.
Residential address should be that of the parent or legal guardian. If the guardian is not the biological parent, proof of legal guardianship (as recognised by SA law), including a commitment to pay school fees, must accompany the application. The applicant must permanently reside at that address.
Applicants will only be contacted if their application is successful.
Fees Structure Pretoria Boys High School
FORM I & II SCHOOL FEES:
FORM III & IV SCHOOL FEES:
FORM V SCHOOL FEES:
R51,500 includes book deposit
This is an additional amount for boarding per annum
FORM I & II COMBINED FEES:
R11,625 per month over ten months
FORM III & IV COMBINED FEES:
R11,410 per month over ten months
FORM V COMBINED FEES:
R11,500 per month over ten months
This non-refundable amount is payable by boarders only when they enter the boarding house. It is a one-off payment on a sliding scale, depending on the level of entry.
- Form I: R2,600 (payable by new boarders entering the boarding house in Form I).
- Form II: R 2,080 (payable by new boarders entering the boarding house in Form II).
- Form III: R1,560 (payable by new boarders entering the boarding house in Form III).
- Form IV: R1,040 (payable by new boarders entering the boarding house in Form IV).
- Form V: R520 (payable by new boarders entering the boarding house in Form IV).
All fees are compulsory and are payable strictly in advance. However the following methods of payment are available:
- in FULL at the BEGINNING of the year; a discount of 3% is offered.
- at the BEGINNING of each month over a period of TEN months, starting from January. Please note the minimum amount equal to a tenth of the annual amount must be paid each month.
- payment in FULL via credit card at the beginning of the year
- Debit and credit cards are welcome for monthly payments.