Rhodes University MBA
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) offered by the Rhodes Business School is a course-work degree together with a dissertation of fifteen thousand (15 000) words. The dissertation accounts for 30% of the total credits. The degree is offered on a part-time, modular basis over two and a half years. In the first two years, candidates are required to attend two three-week teaching blocks in Grahamstown each year and to complete work-based assignments in the periods between the teaching blocks. The final six months is dedicated to the completion of the dissertation. The Rhodes Business School’s essence is “Leadership for Sustainability” and hence leadership and sustainability principles underline all subjects in the MBA curriculum. Emphasis is placed on business continuity, as well as achieving a balance between economic, social and environmental sustainability (the Triple Bottom Line). The Business School has committed itself to abide by the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME).
The MBA is designed to equip practising and potential managers to assist in the creation, development and leadership of successful organisations in a competitive business environment. To this end, the Rhodes MBA has been designed around what managers need to know in order to ensure that they are able to contribute to the achievement of superior business results in the organisations for which they work. In addition, the Rhodes MBA curriculum has been benchmarked against the curricula of other leading Business Schools. It is also important to note that the Rhodes MBA is fully accredited by the Council on Higher Education. To focus on equipping its graduates with the knowledge and skills to pursue managerial and organisational excellence, the Rhodes MBA programme is based on the following principles:
- It is primarily a general MBA aiming to provide an integrated, conceptual and theoretical framework within which to understand generic areas of business and management. It is possible, however, to take up to four elective courses in Environmental Management
- It assumes no prior depth of knowledge of business, economics and/or accounting. It is an academic conversion programme, where graduates with first degrees in a diversity of subjects can attain professional knowledge of business and management
- It aims to enhance previous management-related work experience by helping students to evaluate their practical business experience from a more professional, academic and research perspective
- Where appropriate, it uses a case study-based teaching methodology incorporating South African case studies where they are available.
Applicants should normally:
- have an NQF8 or equivalent qualification. This is an honours degree (e.g. BCom(Hons) or BSc (Hons)), a Postgraduate Diploma (e.g. Certificate in the Theory of Accounting or Postgraduate Diploma in Enterprise Management) or
- a FOUR year bachelor’s degree (e.g. B Bus Sci or B Eng).
- all applicants are required to sit the NMAT test http://www.nmat.org.in/africa/
- have a minimum of three year’s full-time relevant practical business and/or organisational experience.
- be proficient in English
- have obtained a pass in Mathematics in Senior Certificate examination or equivalent
You do not need a first degree in business, accounting or economics in order to apply. We welcome applications from graduates in any field (e.g. engineering, arts, science, law etc.)
If you are attracted by what the Rhodes MBA has to offer, but are unsure about your eligibility for our programme and whether it is the right course for you, please contact the Director of the Rhodes University Business School, for an informal discussion.