SAHA Freedom of Information Programme Intern March 2018
Established in 1988 by anti-apartheid activists, the South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent, nonprofit, activist archive committed to documenting, supporting, and promoting greater awareness of historical and, since 1994, contemporary struggles for justice and accountability.
SAHA seeks to appoint a Freedom of Information Programme Intern to be based at SAHA offices, Constitution Hill, Johannesburg.
- Submit and track PAIA requests made of public and private bodies under PAIA
- Assist in the delivery of SAHA’s PAIA training to NGOs, CBOs, and local government
- Provide administrative support, including at stakeholder meetings
- Conduct research, as directed, into the national and regional use of access to information
- Hold a degree in law, politics, journalism or a related qualification that related to the work of FOIP
- Have a demonstrable interest in human rights advocacy and constitutional issues and an interest in building a career in civil society in South Africa
- South African citizen under 30 years of age
- Recently graduated with no prior full-time work experience preference will be given to applicants who have not previously benefitted from an internship opportunity within a South African NGO
- Ability to commit to the internship for six months
- Be available to work on some Saturdays and after hours when there are workshops or events
- Ability to plan, prioritize work, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Systematic and thorough in their approach to work, with attention to detail
- Competent with Microsoft Office software
Closing Date: Friday, 23 March 2018
To apply, submit your application to email@example.com. The subject line of your email must include FOIP Internship [your full name].
- Two to three-page CV
- Motivational letter (no more than 500 words)
- Up-to-date contact details for at least two professional referees
A one-page letter of motivation (no more than 500 words) that addresses the following:
What is the purpose of Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (PAIA)?
What were the motivating factors behind the development of PAIA?
Provide an example of how you think PAIA could be used to support struggles for justice in South Africa.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be conducted at the SAHA offices in Johannesburg between 5 and 6 April 2018.