SASA : Environmental Health & Safety Graduate Programme
The South African’s well known Sugarcane Research Institute (SASRI) is a world renowned agricultural research institute that conducts research on all aspects of sugarcane farming.SASRI has a great internship opportunity for a graduate within the health and safety field who will be working with the Resource Manager on developing and maintaining Safety, Health and Environmental systems for the South African Sugarcane Research Institute (SASRI) based on NOSA and ISO 18000.
Key perfomance areas:
- Undertaking Hazard Identification Risk Assessments and reporting findings with recommendations
- Scheduling weekly testing of fire alarm system
- Organising SHE Committee meetings
- Compiling safety reports and presented outcomes in S.H.E. Committee meetings.
- Ensuring compliance of SASRI in terms of Occupational Health & Safety Act 85 of 1993
- Compiling a monthly S.H.E. Newsletter called the ‘S.H.E. TALK’
- Conducting Ergonomics survey provided report with results
- Coordinating and Communicating with external service providers such as hazardous waste management
- Promoting health and safety within the workplace
The Requirements (Essential and General)
- National Diploma in Safety, Environment Health or equivalent
- Goodverbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team
What we Offer
– The successful incumbent will receive an allowance of R3500.00 on a monthly basis and access to an on-site Clinic.
Closing date for applications: 18 November 2016.
Applications will be considered for short-listing as they are received and SASA reserves the right to not consider any application received after the stated closing date.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- work independently as well as in a team
- recognise and identify factors that signify the presence of a fire
- listen and understand information and ideas presented verbally
- communicate information & ideas verbally
- identify unsafe or inefficient work procedures
- Problem solving
- Analyse and interpret data
- Work without supervision
- Microsoft Word and Excel
- Data capturing
- relevant health and safety regulations
- relevant legislation
- MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint