Tourism – Buffalo City TVET College NCV Programme
The National Certificate Tourism is a new tourism qualification at each of Levels 2, 3 and 4 of the NQF. This qualification is designed to provide both the theory and practice of tourism.
The practical component of study may be offered in a real workplace environment or in a simulated workplace environment. It will provide students with an opportunity to experience work situations during the period of study.
Minimum Entry Requirements
For entry in the national Certificate Tourism at NQF Level 2, you require:
- A year end school report for Grade 9, 10, 11 or 12, or
- An NQF Level 1 qualification, or
- An approved bridging programme designed for the specific purpose to access NQF Level 2, or
- A Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessments to meet the basic requirements for access to NQF Level 2
The National Certificate Tourism qualification is a full year programme at each of the NQF levels of study.
A student is issued with a certificate of the successful completion of each level of study, that is, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4.
Subjects That Makes Up A National Certificate Tourism
In order to obtain a National Certificate Tourism, a student is required to study a total of 7 subjects. These include 3 fundamental subjects and 4 vocational subjects, of which 3 are compulsory and 1 is optional.
The 3 fundamental subjects are:
- Language-which must be must be the language of teaching and learning
- Mathematical Literacy
- Life Orientation
The vocational subjects in the National Certificate Tourism are:
- Science of Tourism
- Client Services and Human Relations Services
- Sustainable Tourism in South Africa
- Tourism Operations and Technology
These subjects are offered at each of the different NQF levels of study in the National Certificate Tourism qualification.
The holder of the National Certificate Tourism will be able to:
- Work as a tour guide
- Own a tourism business
- Work at a hotel or any other travel site
- Provide an opportunity to market South Africa
- Plan tours of South Africa and SADC
The National Certificate Tourism provides an opportunity to access careers in any of the sectors listed below:
- Accommodation Management
- Restaurant and Food Services
- Tourism Development
- Transportation Management
- Travel Counselling
- Further Study at University of Technology
- Game Ranger and Safari Work