University of Limpopo Turfloop Campus
University of Limpopo Turfloop Campus, The Turfloop Campus is situated east of Polokwane, in the middle of densely populated areas that used to be called homelands.
The Turfloop campus embodies the fundamental aim of the university which is to be a leading university that addresses the needs of the African rural communities.
This campus is home to the Materials Modelling Centre which is a leader in the field of computational modelling techniques to develop metal alloys and polymers also relating to platinum which is the provinces economic mainstay
- School of Pathology and Pre-Clinical Sciences
- School of Medicine
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Oral Health Sciences
- Department Of Nursing Sciences
- School of social sciences
- School of Education
- School of Languages & Communication Studies
- School of Social Sciences
Sciences & Agriculture
- School of Computational & Mathematical Sciences
- School of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
- School of Molecular & Life Sciences
- School of Physical & Mineral Sciences
- Post Graduate Village
- Post Graduate Residences
- High Rise Residences (For under graduates)
- Prefabricated Residences (For first entering students)
During the time of apartheid when the policy of separate ethnically based institutions was in force the University of the North was established and the year was 1959
The university was housed 40 km east of Pietersburg on a farm called Turfloop.
Sovengo was the name given to the town that grew around the university and it stood for Sotho, Venda and Tsonga that were the 3 ethnic groups that were earmarked to study there.
Most of the local population refer to the town as Mankweng, in memory of one of the chiefs of the area.
The university was heavily subsided by the government but the students did not have the education base strong enough so the teaching was put under pressure due to this fact.
The university was a nucleus of the resistance of apartheid era of the 1960s, 70s, and 80s and the South African Police often occupied the campus.
In 2005 the University of Limpopo was created when the Medical University of Southern Africa and the University of the North merged.
University of Limpopo (UL) (Turfloop Campus)
0727 Mankweng-E, Polokwane Rural
Limpopo, South Africa