Zeitz Mocaa: Director Of Institutional Advancement Vacancy 2019
31 August 2019
Department: Institutional Advancement
Reporting to: Executive Director and Chief Curator
Duration: Full time with 3-month probation period
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all.
Reporting to the Executive Director and Chief Curator, the main purpose of the Director of Institutional Advancement SA, is to support the Executive Director by providing overall direction, leadership, management of the Institutional Advancement team. It is responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive proactive advancement plan supporting the activities of Zeitz MOCAA. The position will work with the Executive Director, Board of Trustees, and Senior Management teams, to define fundraising strategy and lead the implementation thereof. To drive and grow the organisations patrons, donors, institutional partnerships, sponsorships, grants and fundraising activities. This role will also oversee the communication and marketing function, team and deliver against all elements of the communications and marketing programmes. Based in Cape Town, the role may require regular travel.
KEY RESPONISBILITIES / ESSENTIAL DUTIES
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
STRATEGY AND PLANNING
- Develop a long-term funding strategic vision for Zeitz MOCAA Foundation, SA in collaboration with Zeitz MOCAA Board of Trustees, Executive Director (ED) and senior management team and refine development targets and deliverables articulated in the initial ZM operating plan
- Drive research to include the collection of all relevant data that will facilitate development of ZM funding strategy according to its mission, governance requirements and that meets the contributed income goals of the Foundation (individual, foundations and the government), both for annual giving and major gifts.
FUNDRAISING AND RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
- Lead individual fundraising; identify and cultivate new prospects, sources of funding including private, public and corporate/foundation sources and foster these.
- Lead and manage fundraising development program; prepare quarterly reports of fundraising operations, development activities, including its annual reports, grant writing, major special events, donor trips, project funding initiatives and recommends changes as necessary.
- Develop and implementing comprehensive institutional advancement programs, including annual fundraising, corporate and foundation relations.
- Assure that best practices are in place and that relevant and innovative fundraising messages are developed for diverse demographic and geographic supporters.
- Source financial support and grants for exhibitions, educational initiatives, public programmes.
DONORS, GRANTS, GIFTING
- Research, identify, cultivate and steward key donor relationships, solicit gifts and grants.
- Drive and participate in development activities including individual meetings with donors, prospects.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relations with Museums, Foundations, Corporates and Governments partner organizations ZMFUSA, (Zeitz MOCAA Friends USA), including strategic partners, other arts organizations, public agencies and foundations.
- Oversee and maintain partner relationships in country and globally.
- Strategy: development of communications (PR) and marketing strategies, and responsible for their delivery.
- Working with the museum leadership to maintain consistent communications and on-brand, messaging related to the museum’s unique position and image in the international art community.
- ZM Internal: Develop and maintain effective communications, stakeholders and prospects.
- Development and implementation of museum’s marketing strategy and plans, including development of marketing collateral and the implementation of marketing campaigns.
- ZM External: Develop marketing and public relations strategies to achieve appropriate
visibility for ZM leadership and its programs, domestically and internationally.
- Liaison with V&A Waterfront and other partners (e.g. tourism bodies) to support and build ZM and their marketing programmes.
MANAGEMENT AND OPERATIONS
- Develop an annual budget for the ZM Board of Trustees & ED approval that includes all operations and revenue generating activities, while controlling and ensuring frugality of cash flow expenditures.
- Identify, research, facilitate and design viable opportunities and solutions to meet the functions needs.
- Manage the affairs of the Patrons, Funders, Donors, Memberships, staff, the board and committees’ engagements, and assures timely compliance with all legal requirements.
- Direct, supervise, develop, performance manage and evaluate the team.
- Master’s in Business Administration or a Masters in related Degrees is desirable; Communications, Business Management.
- Background in art and visual culture and familiarity is desirable.
- Bilingual in (French and English) would be to an added advantage.
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience working within a Director of IA role.
- All forms of private and public resource development.
- Have a well-rounded background in fundraising and a proven track record of cultivating and soliciting support with record of accomplishments that demonstrates initiative, creativity, and managerial and interpersonal skills
- Experience in Communications and Marketing management.
- An experienced leader of fundraising programs, including annual fund, grant writing, special events, donor travel programs, and project/program funding initiatives.
- A development professional who can identify, cultivate, and steward key donor relationships, and foster high-level corporate relationships.
- An experienced leader who can work locally and internationally to build programs with strategic partners, other arts organizations, museums, public agencies, and foundations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ethical, principle-based leader who communicates high standards and expectations.
- A highly collaborative professional who can work effectively with a diverse body of stakeholders, internal and external, and across diverse geographies.
- Strong writing/editing and verbal communication skills with the ability to assimilate detailed information (written and verbal) quickly and easily.
- The ability to motivate, lead, influence and train people successfully.
- Knowledge of negotiation techniques and strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of techniques of donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Expertise with all forms of private resource development including annual, capital, planned, giving and events.
- Excellent process management skills, financial operations experience and computer proficiency with Microsoft Office products and other systems.
- Excellent public speaking ability.
- The Director of IA will be a good listener and a strategic thinker who will embrace the entrepreneurial nature of establishing the IA function. S/he will share a passion for modern and contemporary art from Africa and its diaspora, and a deep commitment to scholarship, education, and the importance of working for the greater good of the museum, the South African cultural community, and African culture writ large.
- Have good knowledge of contemporary art funders; patronage, sponsorships local and abroad
- Existing network and database.
How to Apply
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation. Zeitz MOCAA is committed to Employment Equity and particularly welcomes applications from suitably qualified Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs) for this position.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com