How Much Is Vehicle Change Of Ownership In south Africa

Complete an application for Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicle (RLV) and submit to your appropriate registering authority. The cost of the registration fee is R150 only if the registration takes place within 21 days after the date of liability.


The licence fee depends on the tare of the vehicle.

How do I change ownership of a car in SA?

Go to your nearest registering authority.

If you are changing your address, you must take along the following:

A copy of your identity (ID) document if you are a South African citizen. If you are a foreign citizen, you must bring both the original and certified copy of your ID issued by your country of origin and your temporary residence permit.

Proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit. 

If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councilor confirming your residential address

If you are a South African citizen, you must complete and submit form NCP only. If you are a foreign citizen, you must complete the NCP form and the Notice in respect of the traffic register number (ANR) form.

If you are selling the vehicle:

The seller must complete the NCO form and submit it to their registering authority.

The seller must hand over the registration certificate to the buyer.

The buyer must complete the Application for registration and licensing of motor vehicle form (RLV) for submission.

The buyer must submit the vehicle registration certificate if the vehicle was registered in South Africa.

Provide a mass measuring certificate if the vehicle’s tare was changed.

The buyer of the vehicle must submit the forms to the registering authority within 21 days of buying the vehicle, along with the registration form obtained from the seller and a roadworthiness certificate (it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy).

If the vehicle is registered under a company, you must also submit a certificate of incorporation or name change as issued in terms of the Companies Act or a founding statement.

The registering authority assesses your application and you must pay the fees as prescribed by your province. 

If required by the registering authority you will have to provide proof of the right to be registered as the titleholder of the motor vehicle concerned, e.g. an invoice or a sales agreement.

If you do not have that,  phone your nearest call center or registering authority to establish whether they accept or require any other document as proof.

How long does it take

Applications are processed on the same day.

How much does it cost

Contact your local licensing office for the cost.

Forms to complete

Notice of change of particulars (NCP)

Application for registration and licensing (RLV)

Notice of change of ownership/sale of motor vehicle (NCO)

Notice in respect of traffic register number (ANR)