School Of Engineering – Buffalo City TVET College NCV Programme
ENGINEERING AND RELATED DESIGN
What are the National Certificate Engineering and Related Design Qualification?
The National Certificate Engineering and Related Design is an Engineering and Related Design qualification at each of Levels 2, 3 and 4 of the NQF. This qualification is designed to provide both the theory and practice of Engineering and Related Design.
The practical component of study may be offered in a real workplace environment or in a simulated workplace environment. It will provide students with an opportunity to experience work situation during the period of study.
Minimum Entry Requirements
For entry into the National Certificate Engineering and Related Design at NQF Level 2, you are required:
- A year end school report from grade 9, 10 11 or 12, or
- An NQF Level 1 qualification, or
- An approved bridging programme designed for the specific purpose to access NQF Level 2, or
- A Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment to meet the requirements for access to NQF Level 2
The National Certificate Engineering and Related Design qualification is a fully year programme at each of the NQF levels of study. A student is issued with a certificate on the successful completion of each level of study, that is, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4.
Subjects That Makes Up A National Certificate Engineering and Related Design
In order to obtain a National Certificate Engineering and Related Design, a student is required to study a total of 7 subjects. These include 3 fundamental subjects and 4 vocational subjects, of which 3 are compulsory and 1 is optional.
The 3 fundamental subjects are:
- Language – which must be the language of teaching and learning
- Life Orientation
The vocational subjects in Engineering and Related Design are:
- Engineering Fundamentals
- Engineering Technology
- Engineering System
- Fitting and Turning
- Fabrication and Extraction
- Automotive Repair and Maintenance
Physical Science (Subject and Maintenance)
These subjects are offered at each of the difference NQF Levels of study in the National Certificate Engineering and Related Design qualification.
The holder of the National Certificate Engineering and Related Design will be able to:
- Take part in the manufacturing of tools, machines, engines
- Take part in operation and maintenance of machines
- Extra metallic and non-metallic minerals
- Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering
- Metallurgic and Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Tool Making
- Fitting and Machining