Sense of Taste Chef School
At the Sense of Taste Chef School, we take pride in teaching and encouraging our full-time students in the following concepts:
- Classical cookery using correct established techniques.
- A keen understanding and respect for quality ingredients and local produce.
- An ethos of sustainability and ecologically responsible thinking: We grow our own herbs in our little urban garden; manage our water consumption responsibly and recycle all our waste.
- Keeping up-to-date with contemporary foodie ideas; new trends and current eateries.
- Social responsibility: Our students make and deliver a weekly soup donation to underprivileged kids at a school in our local area. We are also involved in other charity events during the year, such as the Cupcakes for Kids with Cancer charity.
- Teamwork and self-discipline.
- A passion for great food and dining experiences.
- Individuality and self expression.
1-Year Advanced Certificate in Classical Cookery; Patisserie and Wine appreciation
This full-time ( Monday – Friday) course runs for 1 year and covers all aspects of classical food preparation; cooking techniques and methods. We also focus heavily on Patisserie and complete a South African Wine course. Our Advanced certificate students complete the first year of practical and theoretical training, covering both the level 1 and level 2 course syllabus, at our kitchens under the expert guidance of our chefs.
This course offers the platform from which our graduates can enter and thrive in a professional kitchen or diversify into other food-related industries. The certificate course is also the entry level requirement to continue with the Diploma course.
Minimum entrance requirements
- Grade 10 National Certificate
- Students must be turning 18 years old within the year
Course length: 1 Year
- Full-time theory and practical classes at the Sense of Taste Chef School kitchens in Maitland.
- Students are presented with the opportunity to assist with functions from time to time in order to further their practical hands on training and understanding of the industry.
2-year Diploma: Professional Chef
This course runs for 2 years and covers all aspects of classical food preparation; cooking methods; kitchen management, restaurant service; patisserie; wine appreciation and the culinary arts in greater detail. During the first year students train and cook daily in our professional kitchen under the expert guidance of our chefs (see Advanced Certificate info).
During the second year, students enter the professional working environment and complete 2 practical in-service blocks at 2 different industry establishments in order to cement their knowledge and skills. These in-service practical periods are arranged and managed by the Sense of Taste Chef School. This course offers valuable industry networking and is the platform from which our graduates can thrive in professional kitchens, both locally and internationally.
Minimum entrance requirements
- Sense of Taste Chef School Advanced Certificate in Classical Cookery; Patisserie and Wine appreciation
- Students must be 18 years old
Course length – 2 Years
- Full-time theory and practical classes at the Sense of Taste Chef School kitchens in Maitland, Cape Town.
- Students are presented with the opportunity to assist with functions from time to time in order to further their practical hands on training and understanding of the industry
- Full time In-service training at industry establishments – consisting of 2x 6-month sessions at 2 different establishments. All placements are arranged and monitored by the Sense of Taste Chef School.
- You will be required to either have your own transport (valid drivers’ licence required) or have suitable alternative transport arrangements.
- Basic payment for transport will be paid by the establishment.
- Mondays are spent back at the school for feedback and theory and practical lessons.