South Africa Civil Engineering Internships.
The oldest form of civil engineering is known as ‘Military Engineering’. This includes construction, design as well as maintenance on tunnels, canals, railways, roads, factories, homes, offices, bridges, water works, museums and more. This is known today as Civil Engineering.
Civil engineering internships offers candidates the opportunity to learn the basics, to apply what they learned and see how things truly develop. The experience gained during an internship, is as vital as the grades candidates achieved within their studies. Working on real projects within their environment has a lot of benefits.
If you are planning to work as a civil engineer, but would like some experience prior to joining the work force, these internships may just be what you are looking for.
Civil Engineering Internships Available
Internships at the individual companies may offer candidates the following positions:
- Structural Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Environment Engineer
- Geotechnical Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Projects Engineer
- Construction Planning
- Construction Monitoring
- Bridge & Road Planning
- Bridge and Road Monitoring
Many of these can be found with companies such as:
If you would like to apply for civil engineering internships, candidates must provide and meet the following requirements. These may differ slightly, depending on the company.
- Candidates must be a South African citizen and possess a South African ID
- Candidates must live in South Africa
- Candidates must have passed their Grade 12 with exemption
- Candidates must hold a 65% minimum average in all academic performances
- Candidates with 1 year’s work experience is preferred
- Candidates must hold a national diploma in Civil Engineering
- Candidates must show leadership, as well as team work abilities
- Candidates must hold a driver’s license (code B)
- Candidates must have own transport
- Candidates must be able to solve problems, think laterally and be innovative
- Candidates must be flexible to travel
- Candidates must be computer literate
- Candidates must be able to work with MS Word and MS Excel
- Candidates must have exceptional communication skills
- Candidates must be able to pay attention to detail
Online application process for internships are available with most companies, however there is usually also postal addresses made available. Please ensure that once you apply, the application is completed fully, and all relevant documentation certified and attached.
Include with your application a curriculum vitae, a recommendation letter or two, plus a short motivational brief. Herewith be sure to include your reason for applying and why you feel you deserve to be selected.
Please note that only candidates who make the short-list will be contacted, also allow 3 weeks to two months after application has closed for correspondence. If you have not heard from said company by then, you may assume your application was unsuccessful.
It is highly recommended for candidates to apply to more than just one internship if available, however please do mention this within your motivational brief. Internship starting dates will differ as well, once again depending on the internship applied for.
Most civil engineering internships are for a period of 12 month. Selected candidates may be required to sign an internship contract. Some companies will also have a questionnaire attached to their application, if this is the case, ensure it is completed fully and accompanies your application.
The Yearly opening date plus closing date for intern applications will vary in accordance to each companies need.