Why must one apply for learnership?
Learnership benefits for learners?
- You may have better employment opportunities after completing a learnership;
- You have a fixed-term employment contract for the duration of the learnership;
- Learnerships improve on the job performance so you are able to do things relevant to the job;
- You obtain a nationally-recognised qualification that is relevant to the sector; and
- You earn a learner allowance for the duration of the learnership.
Will the learner be paid?
There is a specified minimum learner allowance that must be paid to unemployed learners in a learnership. This is not a salary but covers expenses like travel and meals. Again, you should contact the relevant SETA for more information.
Note: The amount paid as a learner allowance depends on the SETA, type of learnership and the level of qualification. The allowances and conditions are agreed to with each learner before the commencement of the learnership.