Local Governments for Sustainability 2019 Job Vacancy
ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities. ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves approximately 120 member cities and local governments from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa also proudly hosts ICLEI’s global Cities Biodiversity Center (CBC) which works with cities and partners across the world (www.cbc.iclei.org).
ICLEI Africa invites suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position below, to join our African and CBC teams of dynamic urban sustainability professionals and experts.
Job Title: Professional Officer – Urban Systems
Location: South Africa
The successful candidate must have a strong scientific/technical background in urban development, systems thinking, socio-technical systems, and working at the city and city-region level, while also being able to effectively and creatively communicate technical subjects to diverse audiences.
Experience and interest in the following areas is required:
- Urban Studies; Development Planning; Sustainable Cities
- Systems thinking and Systems approaches
- Urban transitions to sustainability; industrial ecology; urban ecology; political ecology; resource economics; resource efficiency / productivity; food-water-energy nexus; circular development; city-region food systems; waste minimisation; integrated waste management; mobility planning; non-motorised and public transport; urban tinkering & experimentation
Candidates should demonstrate a keen interest and proven experience in business development and mobilising resources; be delivery and results-orientated; and have a strong city/local government orientation and focus.
- Relevant Masters or PhD degree related to sustainability, urban infrastructure, urban planning, development, or associated field will be an added advantage
- Experience with desktop research, data collection and analysis approaches and methodologies, and the ability to conceptualise and implement research projects
- Ability to lead and support planning and implementation of projects and events with proven experience of working in, multi-disciplinary project teams, and undertaking applied research
- A keen desire to learn, experiment, and push knowledge boundaries
- Aptitude for working with numbers, and proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to produce technical reports, popular articles, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in – a record of peer reviewed publications will be an added advantage
- Innovative individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across sub-Saharan Africa and internationally
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of, Global South / developing contexts, as well as knowledge of African and global geo-political contexts
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations and the private sector on behalf of ICLEI
- Ability to be flexible about work responsibilities and thrive under pressure
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience
- South African resident/valid work or critical skills permit
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel extensively, locally and internationally
- Proficiency in another global language, especially Arabic, French, Swahili or Portuguese will be a strong added advantage
Please forward a comprehensive CV and covering (motivating) letter, including a certified copy of your ID, available starting date and three references to Mellissa Moses (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application Deadline: 11h00 SAST on 14 October 2019